(By Pihlaja Ahlava)
Makes 15-20 rolls
1,5 kg round cabbage
2 l water
2 tsp salt
oil/butter for sautéing
200 g minced pork
200 g minced beef
1 1/2 dl cream
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp marjoram
2 dl rice or barley
Dark sugar syrup
1. Cut the stem out from cabbage. Boil water in a large pot with salt, place whole cabbage in and wait until outer leaves start to soften.
2. Pull each leaf off once soft enough to bend without breaking. Place leaves on kitchen towel to cool down.
3. Once the size of the leaves gets too small for wrapping, dry and chop the remaining cabbage finely in small pieces and mix with the filling.
4. Peel and chop onion into thin slices, sauté in oil/butter for few minutes and combine with the rest of the filling ingredients. Filling should feel moist and easy to mix.
5. Trim cabbage leaves by cutting the 'stem' of the leaf flat and almost as thin as the surrounding parts of the leaf. Place leaves on work surface and place a tablespoonful of filling on each leaf. Turn sides of the leaf in and roll tightly. Place rolls on deep oven tray side by side, drizzle syrup and small cubes of butter on top of the rolls.
6. Bake in 200°C until browned, then reduce temperature to 150°C and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours more.
7. Let sit for a while before serving. Enjoy with mashed lingon berries or store-bought lingonberry jam.